students often ask me how i hear the voice of God. WOW! i wish that was an easy answer. I so desire God’s voice to Shout from the heavens. That every thing he speaks for me started with my name and end with “this is my will for you, Jeniffer, know that i am God.” Ohhhh… how much heartache would be avoided if God’s voice was that clear. But it is not, and so we must interpret the thoughts that run through our head and sort through the busyness of our mind to find the clarity of God.
God makes it clear in scripture that he is NOT a God of CONFUSION, but one of peace and lucidity. so what does it mean when we don’t understand what he is asking…maybe just maybe he is asking us to wait, to not move until we have clarity because in the waiting he refines our hearts and our minds. so that when he brings about his hand of blessing and his still soft voice speaks we will recognize his voice!!! after all isn’t that what he says: “they will know my voice”
I am convince that sometimes we get so impatient in the waiting we stop trusting and listening to God and start to search for the fruition of our plan, our desires. This is the moment that SATAN can launch his greatest attack. He will speak to the desires in your heart as though he is God, He is after all the great deceiver. Satan walks in the open door and ushers in the very thing God is asking you to wait for, but because you have waited a bit and you are more about the waiting ending than pressing into the one who is asking you to wait, thus you see Satan’s promptings as God.
You have the ability to interpret your circumstance to mean anything you desire. But that is NOT what God has for you because when you walk outside of the will of God knowingly or unknowingly you are walking out of the protection of the hand of God. so how do you know that you are interpreting your circumstances incorrectly…
1. seek wise counsel from people you know will tell you truth
– if you are only talking to specific people because you know they will support your predetermined choice you are not seeking wise counsel
–If you are with holding specific facts from your circumstances because you are afraid of the response they will receive you are not seeking wise counsel.
– in both of these cases you are manipulating the flow of information to seek affirmation and not allowing God to direct you, it will make you feel good because you will be affirmed in your choice, but it will further open the door for Satan and block off a pathway for God to speak to you.
2. search your own heart for your desires
–even in the greatest confusion i believe people know if they are being honest with themselves, the the spirit of God living in them will rise up and create a great uneasiness to warn you if you ask him too.
3. lastly and most importantly: read scripture and pray
– your choice should line up with the word of God.
– you should have the peace of God in your heart about your choice even if you don’t completely understand the details.
– remember if can blocking out the voice of wise counsel you can also block out the truth of scripture and the voice of God. Having “peace” alone is NOT confirmation that you are in the will of God.
Remember scripture says that we must take every thought captive, meaning they are not all ours. we must capture our thoughts, hold them, examine them before God and determine: is this our thought, God’s word for us, or is the part of the great deception. Look and listen for the promptings of God in small things (i feel like i should help that person…. I really want to go sit over there today….. I think i need to go to school early today…. i want to write her a note….) and you will begin to recognize God’s voice in the big things (yes i should go to that college, i should apply for that job…).
God is speaking to you… are you listen to him?